- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be a first-generation college student and from a low-income household OR must be from a group that is underrepresented in graduate education.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate in a degree-seeking program at Cal Lutheran.
- Must have completed 60 college credits at the time of application.
- Must not be graduating before May 2019
- Must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Must be planning to enroll in graduate school upon graduating from Cal Lutheran.
- Must have a strong desire to attain a doctoral degree
- Must agree to participate in all required program components.
 This means that neither parent/guardian earned a baccalaureate degree.
 Low income, as defined by federal guidelines. See https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html
 Federal regulations define these groups as Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiians, and Native American Pacific Islanders