Interested in teaching for Fifty and Better? Learn more about us and submit a proposal!
Fifty and Better (FAB) was designed to offer university-level courses (no tests, no homework) taught by experts in the field and to host social engagement activities for individuals 50 years of age and older in our community.
FAB offers 6-week and 4-week course sessions in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, as well as lecture series in between course sessions.
Our students come from a variety of backgrounds with a variety of experience – but all are here because of their love of learning! They enjoy a variety of subjects, such as art, history, political science, architecture, science, music, and more!
FAB faculty enjoy teaching our FABulous students because they think about the topics, ask pertinent questions, and are highly motivated. And with no homework, no grades, and no tests, students and faculty can have meaningful discussions about the material purely for the enjoyment of learning.
Course and Lecture Details
- Our courses and lectures are currently held during the day, Monday through Friday.
- Courses and lectures are offered either virtually via Zoom or HyFlex (students can choose to attend virtually or in-person at Cal Lutheran's campus).
- Our 6-week and 4-week courses meet for 2 hours once a week. Our lectures typically meet for 2 hours once or twice.
- Our 6-week and 4-week courses are open only to individuals age 50 and up, while our lectures are open to all ages.
- We compensate $100.00 per instructional hour.
- We allocate compensation per class based on instructional hours.
The Proposal Process
- We accept proposals year-round – click the button above to submit either course or lecture proposals.
- If you are interested, please include in your proposal the title(s) of possible course(s) and a couple of lines of description for each course and/or suggestions for possible courses. Let us know if it is a 6-week course, a 4-week course, or an independent lecture. If you have a full description or proposal, we are happy to take a look at it.
- Our dean, Lisa Buono, meets with the Advisory Committee to review new suggestions and proposals.
- The Advisory Committee and dean will accept or decline your proposal, and if they have received only suggestions or a partial proposal, will ask for more information as needed if they are interested.
- In some cases, the Advisory Committee will request a meeting and teaching demo with the prospective instructor. If approved, we will work with you to schedule your course.
If you are teaching a course with FAB, California Lutheran University is required to hire you as an employee rather than a contractor. Because of California Assembly Bill 5 — signed into law in 2019, in effect January 1, 2020 — short term employees (with some exceptions) must be hired as employees. FAB instructors fall into this category.
- Once your class is approved, we will work with you to schedule your course in a session.
- Adjunct Application: FAB staff will provide the link to submit your application to our adjunct posting and will work with you and university on the steps to get your application processed.
Upcoming Session Dates
Please see our upcoming dates.