Paths to Professionalism
Wednesday, March 13, 2019
7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Join a distinguished panel of professionals to learn about what defines you as a professional, challenges of the business environment, and first impressions.
If you are approaching graduation, this is a must-attend event, but all students are welcome. Get involved, interact with our panelists and engage with one another! Find your path to career success.
The March 13th event runs from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
(See the agenda below.)
Continental Breakfast will be available.
Business casual attire is required.
Discussions on topics such as:
- What defines you as a professional?
- Challenges in the business environment
- First impressions - What makes a candidate appear suitable or not?
Karen Boublis, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Founder and Principal Consultant, HR Business Solutionz
Karen Boublis is a human resource expert known for her honest and trusted appraisal of workplace situations and personalization of the human resource services experience for each of her clients.
Karen served as Executive VP Human Resources for Datasat Digital Entertainment where she directed all aspects of Human Resources including leadership development, creation of policies and payroll management. Karen was the Director of Human Resources for DTS, Inc. where she led the human resource efforts in business strategy acquisitions and mergers. In addition, Karen has held Human Resources development and executive management positions with prestigious national organizations including: Intel, Xircom, Price Pfister, and Valley Presbyterian Hospital.
Karen is a Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), a SHRM Senior Certified Professional, she is a Board Member of the Southern California Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA), and a member of the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM). She volunteers for PIHRA and SHRM supporting students studying the field of human resources. Karen is also a volunteer speaker and consultant for Women’s Economic Ventures of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Karen serves on the Board for Habitat for Humanity Ventura County.
President & Chief Executive Officer, Sun Hill Properties Inc.
President and Chief Executive Officer
Sun Hill Properties LLC
Hillcrest Real Estate LLC
DBA Hilton Los Angeles Universal City
Board Member Los Angeles Hotel Lodging Association
Board Member VICA, Vice Chair of Finance Committee
Executive Committee VICA
Board Member Los Angeles Convention and Tourism
Board Member of Xianglu Hotel Group, Xiamen, China
Member VICA Land Use Committee
Member LATCB Sales Committee
Advocate for Tierra Del Sol Foundation
Certified Hotel Administrator
Certified Food and Beverage Executive
- 43 Years in Hospitality
- 23 Years Full Service Hotel Repositioning Executive Leadership Expertise
- Diverse Market Brand Experience with Hilton, Doubletree, Marriott and Holiday Inn
- Specialize in strategic financial performance; market share penetration and team development
- 100% track record increasing property net worth; always exceeding annual market growth
My beautiful wife, 2 Sons, 2 Daughters and 12 Grandchildren
Entertaining Golf team members at scrambles
Skiing, Hiking, Travel and Tourism exploring the outdoors
Climb Mount Kilimanjaro, Experience the F14 Fighter jet in max Mach climb
Managing Partner, Continuing Life
Warren E. Spieker is Managing Partner of Continuing Life LLC. Continuing Life provides business services and support for Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) in California including, Morningside of Fullerton, La Costa Glen Carlsbad, University Village Thousand Oaks, and Stoneridge Creek Pleasanton. All four communities are over 95% occupied with high resident satisfaction ratings. The company is assisting in the 2019 opening of Reata Glen San Juan Capistrano and The Glen at Scripps Ranch and will provide support for those communities. Continuing Life is ranked #19 in Fortune Magazine’s 50 Best Places to Work in Aging Services.
Mr. Spieker joined Continuing Life Communities in 2001 and previously held Sales & Marketing, community start-up, and Vice President roles before becoming Managing Partner of Continuing Life in 2013. Prior to transitioning to senior housing Mr. Spieker worked for the investment bank Alex. Brown & Sons in the San Francisco office.
Mr. Spieker serves on the board of the YPO Coastal San Diego chapter and has served on the Board of Trustees for Francis Parker School and The Friends of Del Mar Parks. He lives in Del Mar with his wife, Meghan, and their four sons.
He received a masters degree in business administration from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University where he coached the women’s rugby team to the national championship. He has a bachelor of arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley where he played rugby.
7:30 a.m. - Continental Breakfast
7:45 a.m. - Convocation
7:50 a.m. - Welcome
8:00 a.m. - Introduction to Panel Speakers
8:20 a.m. - Panel Question and Answer
8:55 a.m. - Conclusion and Adjournment
2018 Panelists included:
- Grace Martinez, MBA - Deputy of Operations for Advanced Electronic Warfare Technologies, Naval Air Warfare Center, Pt. Mugu
- Alan Cohen, MBA - Chief Marketing Officer, Consultant
- Payal Kamdar, GISP, PMP, OCP, Six Sigma Green Belt, CSM - CEO and Founder, VSolvit, LLC
Watch 2016 and 2017 Paths to Professionalism events
- Primo Custodio - Vice President, Human Resources, Operations and Technical Services (rt. 2016), NBCUniversal
- Cynthia Kiefer - President and founder, Zmatches.com
- Jim Howard - Managing partner and founder, Progression REI
- Susan Smuck, Human Resources Professional and Chair of Cal Lutheran Board of Regents
- Sabina Shaikh, V.P. Worldwide Strategic Alliances, Salesforce
- Sue Coakley, Marketing Leader, Acquisition & Retention, Symantec Corp.