Preliminary Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential
A Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential authorizes you to teach in a self-contained classroom such as the classrooms in most elementary schools. However, a teacher authorized for multiple subject instruction may be assigned to teach in any self-contained classroom (preschool, K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults).
The following are the CTC requirements for the SB 2042 Preliminary Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Accredited professional preparation program, including successful student teaching
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprint clearance)
- Basic Skills Proficiency (CBEST or equivalent)
- Developing English Language Skills, including reading (this requirement is fulfilled by successful completion of EDTP521 Literacy & Language in Diverse Classrooms)
- Passage of RICA - You are encouraged to complete this requirement shortly after taking EDTP 521 Literacy and Language in Diverse Classrooms.
- U.S. Constitution
- Subject-matter competence by examination
- Passage of the Teacher Performance Assessment - edTPA
- Adult, Infant, Child CPR certification (needs to be valid at time of credential recommendation)
The program at Cal Lutheran satisfies standards established by the CCTC for the preparation of teachers to serve English learners. All students successfully completing the program will be authorized to provide service to English learners in California schools.
Applying for the Preliminary Credential
Prior to submission of a credential application, you must not have outstanding charges on your student account, you must make arrangements with the Business Office prior to submission of a credential application.
If you submit an application and a hold has been placed on your account, the application will be returned to you. You may submit an application without final grades posted after May 1st for spring completion, and after December 1st for fall completion. Applications will not be processed until eligibility and all grades have been verified.