Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential
A Single Subject Teaching Credential authorizes the holder to teach the specific subject named on the credential in departmentalized classes such as those in most middle schools and high schools. However, a teacher authorized for single subject instruction may be assigned to teach any subject within his or her authorized field at any grade level: preschool, grades K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults.
The subjects available for California Single Subject Teaching Credentials at California Lutheran University are as follows:
- Health Science
- Languages Other Than English (French & Spanish)
- Foundational-level Mathematics
- Physical Education
- Foundational-level Science
- Science: Life Sciences (Biology)
- Science: Chemistry
- Science: Earth and Space (Geoscience)
- Science: Physics
- Social Science
The following are the CTC requirements for the Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Accredited professional preparation program, including successful student teaching
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprint clearance)
- Basic Skills Proficiency
- Developing English Language Skills, including reading (this requirement is fulfilled by successful completion of EDTP 532 Literacy & Language in Classrooms, a course in the Methods Block of course work in the Teacher Preparation Program)
- U.S. Constitution
- Subject-Matter Competence
- Passage of the Teacher Performance Assessment - edTPA
- Adult, Infant and Child CPR certification (needs to be valid at time of credential recommendation)
Preliminary Single Subject with Bilingual Authorization Teaching Credential
In addition to the requirements above, the following items must also be completed in order to meet CTC requirements for the Single Subject with Bilingual Authorization Teaching Credential:
- Passage of CSET III: Spanish or Spanish Minor from CLU - this must be completed to be admitted to the program
- Passage of CSET IV: Spanish or EDLT 575 - you are encouraged to take this during the Foundations but must to be met before recommendation of your preliminary credential
The 2042 program at CLU satisfies standards established by the CTC for the preparation of teachers to serve English learners. All students successfully completing the 2042 program will be authorized to provide service to English learners in California schools.
Qualifying for a Multiple Subject Preliminary Credential in Addition to your Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential
Adding Additional Authorized Fields to Your Existing Single Subject Teaching Credential
Applying for the Preliminary Credential
Prior to submission of a credential application, you must not have outstanding charges on your student account, you must make arrangements with the Business Office prior to submission of a credential application.
If you submit an application and a hold has been placed on your account, the application will be returned to you. You may submit an application without final grades posted after May 1st for spring completion, and after December 1st for fall completion. Applications will not be processed until eligibility and all grades have been verified.