Learning How English Works
Assessing and Teaching Part II of the California ELD Standards
Our ELD standards call for students to "Interact in Meaningful Ways" (Part I) and to "Learn How English Works" (Part II). This two-day institute will build participants' knowledge about the academic language of the Part II standards and provide strategies to assess and teach them.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the text, sentence, and word level academic language of Part II of the California ELD standards
- Consider classroom language demands connected to the California ELD standards
- Practice the Student Work Analysis Protocol (SWAP) with a focus on language to set learning goals
- Participate in an instructional routine sequence for teaching language
- Experience strategies for teaching text, sentence, and word level language
- Consider how the protocols, strategies, and routines discussed fit into an existing curriculum
Training will be held from 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. at California Lutheran University Oxnard Campus.
- Day 1: TBD
- Day 2: TBD
Space is limited! Reserve your spot by registering early.
$375 per participant (includes materials, lunch is on your own)